Self Defense for
Medical Defensive Tactics (MD Tactics)
MD Tactics was created and designed by Dr. Uma Suryadevara and Sensei Jason Sorgi to teach basic self defense principles to psychiatry residents at the University of Florida. Before this program there was almost no self defense course that didn't involve striking an attacker. MD Tactics is uniquely designed to teach healthcare professionals self defense without harming a violent patient.
According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics - healthcare workers suffer 50% of all assaults in the workplace. This is the highest of any occupation in the United States. Psychiatrists, emergency room staff, EMTs, and elder care workers are at particular risk due to patient violence. Although these occupations are the most dangerous, most healthcare workers receive no hands-on training in how to protect themselves from patient assaults. This leads to numerous injuries, resulting in thousands of missed days of work and millions of dollars in worker’s compensation claims. Assaults in the workplace without proper training also causes severe emotional trauma post incident. Many are unable to return to work even when their physical injuries have healed.
Part 1 - 90 Minute PowerPoint Presentation
• Statistical findings involved with patient on healthcare worker violence
• Most likely forms of attacks and injuries
• Proper de-escalation techniques
• Three part threat level describing visible signs of potential violence & proper response skills
• Video of actual patient attacks
• Step-by-step analysis of video and what should have been done to avoid the situation
Part 2 - 90 Minute Hands-On Section
• Proper defensive stance and footwork drills to avoid being thrown to ground
• Blocking techniques that deflect attacks
• Separation techniques that allows escape from attacker without striking
• Minimizing potential injury to the attacker
"Healthcare professionals that have taken this course have rated it 4.87 out of 5 stars!"
Meet Our Team
• B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, University of Florida
• President and Chief Instructor for Katsu Dojo Karate School for 20 yrs.
• State Karate Director for Sunshine State Games under Florida Sports Foundation
• Certified Coach with USA Karate under United States Olympic Committee
• Assistant Professor, University of Florida
• Program Director, Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Program, University of Florida
• Associate Program Director, Psychiatry Residency Program
• Fellowship at Stanford University
• Psychiatry Residency program, Michigan State University
• 2nd Degree Black Belt
How do I get more information?
Postal address: 4936 NW 39th Ave, Suite B, Gainesville, Florida - 32606
Phone: (352) 354-2860